2 yards Duck Canvas- single or multi colors ($10.99/yd)
piping filler (about $6 bucks)
Sewing Machine with zipper foot
Bag of Playground Sand ($4.00 per 50lb bag)
- Cut circles from fabric to desired size of sandbag
- The easiest way to cut a circle is to find a bucket or bowl about the size you want and trace it onto the fabric with chalk – this will ensure a symmetrical and round circle.
- Remember, you will need at least a half inch around the edge of the fabric to sew on piping.
Step 2: Piping
- First, you’ll need to cut strips of fabric to sew over the piping.
- Fold from corner of fabric to make a 45 degree angle. Measure & cut 2 inch strips of fabric on the diagonal (this will prevent twisting when sewing).
- GREAT site to learn how to sew piping – it’s easier than you think!
- Pin together strips (overlap edges a bit) as shown in the picture and sew pieces together
- Once sewn, they will make one long strip of fabric
- Take piping and place in the middle of sewn strips and sew tightly against the piping using the zipper foot.
- Once Piping is complete, cut slits (about 1cm apart) along the sewn piping liner. Do not cut past the stitch in the piping, though!
- Pin down the piping liner just inside the cut circles of fabric, with the open end of the piping facing outwards around the circle.
- Sew down the piping around the circle, removing the pins as you go.
- When it comes to sewing the two ends of the piping together, overlap the two ends in an X, with the ends pointing outwards (toward the outer edge of circle). Sew over middle of X to “seal” out ends.
- One half is complete!
- Take the second circle and lay on top of completed half, outside facing up. Pin down around outer edge of piping and sew top layer as closely to piping as possible. Be careful to leave an opening approximately four inches long.
- Turn sandbag shell inside out.
- Fill with desired amount/weight of sand.
- Fold edge of opening to match up to piping and pin. Sew along folded edge to close up opening.
Voila! Your sandbag weight is complete!