Friday, May 16, 2014

Sewing Cabinet: Part 1

Hi everybody! My latest project has been taking me forever, so please bare with me and my recent infrequent posting.

My dad loves to woodwork, which my Grandfather taught him as he grew up. My Dad became a mechanical engineer, but to this day still loves to build, fix and tinker. Recently he made me a beautiful sewing cabinet! Complete with swing open doors, built in storage and an expandable work surface, it even has adjustable shelves and drawers so I can move them around. This cabinet is perfect. He even left it unfinished so that I could do the finishing myself. Which is what I’ve been up to for the past month or so.

I sanded and stained the cabinet first, then coated it with three coats of semi-gloss polyurethane, sanding with fine-grit sandpaper in-between coats. Sanding all those little crevices and panels was a *bleep but it came out great. Luckily we don’t have dining furniture yet so I commandeered the dining room for this whole project. Don’t mind the still-packed boxes in the back of the room. It’s a work in progress.

Supplies I used:
- Golden Oak Minwax oil-based stain
- Minwax clear semi-gloss polyurethane (three coats for extra durability)
- 220 grit sandpaper for smoothest finish between coats of poly
- Mask to help protect from fumes and dust from sanding…. also used a wet towel to wipe cabinet down after I sanded each side each time… kept the dust level down.

IMG_20140516_142814_888

Before:

IMG_20140503_163234_988

IMG_20140503_163343_429

After Staining:

IMG_20140503_181734_420

Finished (with the exception of the forgotten drawers… woops):

IMG_20140516_142529_910

IMG_20140516_142631_032

Much better photos to come in Sewing Cabinet: Part 2. Once everything is complete and I can put the cabinet in its place I’ll be able to get better photos!!

Thanks for stopping by!
Cheers!
Bridget, XOXO

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job staining the cabinet and your Dad did a wonderful job creating your sewing cabinet!!

    ReplyDelete