Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sweet Baby Bibs

Another wave of babies is coming! A handful of my friends and coworkers are pregnant or new moms! What a perfect way for me to get back into sewing. I fell off the wagon a tad earlier this Summer and have been struggling to find inspiration – and to save all of you from weak, half-*ssed posts, I decided it would be best if I just wait until inspiration strikes again. And thank god it did… I was getting worried for a little while there. And really, I am so much happier when I am making something out of inspiration and not necessity or force. Can you relate?
So here are some simple but pretty and practical baby bibs. Made with beautiful fabrics but backed with terry cloth for those dribbles and drools, piped with bias tape for a finished look. Great practice for edging curves!
IMG_20130907_144108_500

What you will need:
- Patterned fabric (preferably cotton – washes and wears better)
- Terry cloth by-the-yard (can get expensive- use a coupon or get on sale)
- Biased tape (I bought mine this time, but you can make your own or use ribbon)
- The Usual Suspects: Sewing machine, scissors, thread, etc.

1. Use a pattern to trace the shape of a bib on your fabric. You can download a bib pattern easily from Pinterest or trace an old bib or sketch your own like I did. Here, I used my mock-up to trace.
IMG_20130830_173938_846
2. Because I’m making more than one bib, I doubled up my fabric and cut two bibs at once. I then did the same for my terry cloth. I bought one yard of terry cloth and cut it into squares to maximize the amount of bibs I could get out of it (I think I got about 12!) (my bibs are 9 inches wide by 13 inches long)

IMG_20130830_174358_312
Beware: terry cloth makes a mess – just a warning. It will get annoying.
3. Topstitch your terry cloth bib and your fabric bib together.

IMG_20130830_174708_453
Note: I traced the bib as one piece with a hole for the neck first. Then once I sewed all the edges I cut the middle of the top to separate. It made keeping track of my lines and pieces much easier as I topstitched.
IMG_20130830_181439_315
4. Pin your bias tape and sew carefully around the entire edge of the bib.

IMG_20130903_151522_899
5. Add velcro or snaps to the tabs.

IMG_20130907_144007_854
6. Press and voila!

IMG_20130907_144108_500
Makes a sweet, personal and useable gift for new moms… you could even make some matching door jammers!
Thanks for stopping by!
Cheers,
Bridge
XOXO

7 comments:

  1. Such cute material. Can never have enough bibs for the wee ones :-)
    visiting thru 52 Mantels party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Thanks for sharing at my Pin Me Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I love that you used terry cloth, I used to love (store bought) ones with waterproof backing so that might be an idea too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monica! Waterproof back is a great idea... thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Great tutorial, thanks. I may just review it as part of my blog pin project! http://talenttoplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun! do you have a downloadable template?

    ReplyDelete