Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Valentine’s Day Bowl

I love Valentine’s Day for so many reasons. One being, it’s a small glimmer of festivity in the cold, harsh, gray, bleak days of our New England winter. Second reason being that I can decorate with hearts and pink and pretty things and get away with it. Third, of course, is because my darling and I can treat each other to a special day or night, focusing on us. That being said, we are strong believers in the motto “Valentine’s Day is just a day”; in other words, don’t save the special lovin’ and spoiling for this one day – celebrate that love as often as you possibly can (within reason, we’re only humans here). But basically, flowers are not only allowed on Valentine’s day and neither are steak dinners or back rubs.
I like to decorate for Valentine’s Day, but I’m not into the cheesiness. Probably because I don’t have kids, but more likely because my style is simple. Less is more, in my book. I like my space to be visually interesting, but not overwhelming. I often find myself vigorously de-cluttering or cleaning when I’m anxious because visual clutter is over-stimulating to me. Maybe I’m crazy, but I’m alright with that.
That being said, my Valentine’s Day craft for you is a pretty bowl that can be used year-round or not. I bought a damaged dinnerware set a few years ago and every once in a while I’ll pull it out and decorate a plate or some bowls for a holiday or a gift. They’re easy to display and they’re practical – two thumbs up in my book.
IMG_0043
Supplies you will need:- white, ceramic oven-safe bowl
- oil-based paint pens (I used Sharpie)
Decorate your bowl as desired, then place in cold oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees, bake for 30 minutes and let cool in oven. (Allowing the bowl to preheat and cool down in the oven will prevent cracking from quick changes in temperature.)
IMG_0036
IMG_0042 The Beatles said it best!
IMG_0048
I would recommend this bowl be for decorative uses only – particularly if you use gold paint as I did. I do not know if this paint is food safe. That being said, if you decorate the outside of the bowl, you shouldn’t have an issue.
Spread a little love this week <3
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Cheers,
Bridget XOXO

1 comment:

  1. This bowl is so great! It's simple and cute but would work just about anywhere. Or anytime! I have a tendency to let holiday decorations linger. Maybe it's the 5 year old running around or maybe I just need more motivation to pack it up...

    ReplyDelete